Mastering Mathematics through 1-to-1 Math Teaching
For students to be successful in higher level mathematics, they need to develop math fluency – the ability to automatically retrieve facts and perform essential calculations. Fluent students can more easily make conceptual connections, experiment, and take risks, thereby increasing their confidence and enjoyment of math.
The teachers at Ruth Rumack’s Learning Space (RRLS) are trained to help students from Kindergarten to Grade 12 master math skills and overcome feelings of intimidation and frustration that can be barriers to success. Additionally, RRLS teachers provide enrichment to those students wishing to exceed grade level expectations.
Please refer to the 1-to-1 Programming page for in-depth information about our 1-to-1 personalized teaching.
Math Program Details
What Math Skills Are Taught?
AT RRLS, we focus on helping students:
confidence: Students who are confident in their skills and abilities engage with the material more eagerly, progress to higher level concepts more easily, and develop the ability to work independently more quickly.
- Apply concepts: We help students apply knowledge they’ve already learned to creatively solve new and challenging problems.
- Follow a step-by-step process: Students improve accuracy by focusing on vital steps in problem solving, rather than simply answering questions quickly.
What Programs Are Used?
At the elementary level, RRLS uses structured, systematic, and multi-sensory programs to increase student confidence and skill level:
At the secondary level, expert teachers provide curriculum support through re-teaching, consolidating, and pre-teaching classroom concepts. Students are taught effective note-taking and test preparation strategies.
How Does RRLS Teach Mastery?
RRLS specializes in helping students fully understand a mathematical concept before moving on to the next one. Math concepts build upon each other, and without mastering one idea, a student cannot properly transition to the next.
RRLS learning specialists are trained to design a differentiated program of instruction for each student. We use a systematic approach to create a unique curriculum that breaks down confusing concepts into manageable pieces, including:
- Continuous review: We constantly review and link present concepts with previous ones so that students understand connections and can build their skills on a solid math foundation.
- Customized lessons: We connect lessons to students’ specific interests and passions, making concepts more exciting and relevant.
- Concrete visuals: We use visual and kinesthetic learning, which encourages learners to be engaged in and stimulated by the concepts being taught.
- Interactive and assistive technology: Our learning specialists accommodate individual learning needs using iPads, SMART Board software, and other technologies to promote understanding, confidence, and independence.
Get Started Today!